So, I did a crawl this morning. Here's some videos online that are good (and some comments on things I saw that I liked - I didn't have media/vip access and I didn't feel like waiting in line for anything, but in general things felt more crowded and less fun than previous years, but maybe it's me, as well):
- Killzone 2 - is it real, is it not? Who cares, it's the best demo of the show.
- Enemy Territory: Quake Wars - looks more fun than Quake 4
- Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure - I didn't see much of the gameplay, and its sort of weird with the shooting thing. I think a pure graf game would be awesome (maybe its just from watching Style Wars too many times) -- The Midway and Atari booths are actually a bit out of the way (off to the side of West Hall), but worth stopping by. The new Mortal Kombat and Gauntlet games actually look good, even the Area-51 PC port looks like an entertaining diversion
- Were they showing Spore there? I didn't see it, but OMG
- Gears of War - OK, I wasn't motivated enough to sit through the UT2007 or GoW line, but holy crap, if you thought the UT3 tech demo looked good, here's what they've done with it
- Ultimate Spiderman has some really neat cell-shading/comic-frame action that looks great (Hulk looked fun as well, lots of smashing)
- Ghost Recon 3 - one-ups even America's Army in its fetishizing of the US military
- Shadow of the Colossus - from the makers of ICO
- Blizzard, as usual, had an insanely long cinematic, this time for Ghost, their upcoming shoot and sneak. (not online, worth trying to catch on-screen at the UV booth (update: looks like some of the cinematic trailer is available here)
And there you have it. All in all, newer and higher resolution ways to shoot at and kill each other. So, all in all, rather good I'm too busy to play any games (serious time sinks), but if I do, I'll probably bite the bullet about control pads (vs mouse+kb) and pick up some next-gen consoles instead of upgrading my PC. It's just way cheaper.